A shisha, or hookah or Myle pods in Dubai, are multi- or single-stemmed device for inhaling or exhaling either steam vapors, or both tobacco and hashish, often cannabis, opiate, or cocaine. The inhalation process is done through a long metal tube known as a hookah bar (also called a shisha bar). Once lit, the smoke is pushed over heated water in a bowl shaped like a lathe, which creates steam. The steam, which is believed to have a beneficial effect on the mind and body, is channeled into the user’s lungs via the smoke channel, which is usually carved out of a different material than the bowl. Once the steam enters the lungs, it is thought to relax the body and calm its functions.
- Hookahs are particularly popular with hookah smokers who use pipes such as hookah torches to get their shisha fix. Hookahs are also used by many people who use pipes for their smoking tobacco, because it is relatively easy to take out and dispose of compared to a handful of cigarettes, which tend to be very difficult to dispose of.
- Cigarettes are made up of hundreds of compounds that can irritate the user’s respiratory system, making smoking cigarettes extremely hazardous. Hookahs are considered less hazardous than cigarettes because there is no toxic smoke produced.
- Hookahs can be purchased in two different forms: in flavored tobacco form and in water-pipe form. Flavored tobacco hookahs usually contain more nicotine than traditional hookahs, which is to the smoker’s advantage. Nicotine is a highly addictive stimulant, which means that the user would need a lot of nicotine to get started on a hookah session.
- Many people also choose to purchase shisha for personal use – there is an option for electronic shisha as well. There are hookah bars in most tourist destinations around the world, and hookah accessories such as shisha candles and hookah balls are available for purchase from many specialty stores online and in many regular brick-and-mortar retail outlets.
- One of the most common misconceptions about shisha is that it requires two terms, the hookah and shisha. This is not true; a hookah only needs one fuel source (the hookah) and one medium (the shisha).
A shisha only requires a hookah and water pipe. Both hookahs and shisha can be used to smoke the same kinds of tobacco, although hookahs do have a stronger aroma than shisha do.